Address details


Down Syndrome NSW
Level 6/410 Church St, North Parramatta
9am-5pm Monday - Thursday
T: 9841 444


Friday 9 June 2017

Weekend reading and viewing: 10 - 11 June 2017


There is so much in this video that I want to dissect about the Down syndrome diagnosis narrative, but honestly, I don’t feel like making this a resource post… let’s just talk about it as friends do. Is that cool with you? 
But first – watch it if you haven’t ...
Meriah Nicholls, 5 June 2017

Cara discusses common Down Syndrome myths and explain how a community of “rockin moms” (moms of kids who “rock” an extra copy of the 21st chromosome) are working to socially construct society’s “next” conversations about DS through critically examining the impact of our language choices ...
Cara Jacocks, TEDxACU, published  26 May 2017 (video 17m 31s)



... I wrote a column published with the heading “Welcome 8 point 1 point 5 (his birth weight) We love you”, which went on to win an award, while Nick went on to be one of the best things that happened in our lives ...


David Margan, The Courier-Mail, 7 June 2017
At a young age, I learned to be a responsible person. The instinct to be a protective sister came naturally. How could I not? The love of a baby, in my case a younger brother, came so natural. I couldn't imagine anyone not loving or adoring this small person. At this time, I didn't know he had Down syndrome, but it didn't matter. I think I was too young to understand what this even meant, and society wasn't open to those with disabilities during this time ...
Rhoda Penny, Rhoda G's Online Cafe, 29 May 2017

... In expanding your friendship and reading circles to adults from the disability community, you will likely see things from an altogether different perspective, and one that is often highly enlightening!
Blogs are an excellent avenue by which you can forge forth and figure out who sounds most like someone you want to get to know ...

... there are some things my kids intuitively grasp without my help. To my surprise, nearly everyone I meet below the age of 4 just rolls with it when it comes to disability. Ableism hasn’t taken hold yet. Here are five things I’ve seen young children totally understand about disability that unfortunately, most adults struggle with ...

No comments: