A message from Andrew Boys, Director of Down Syndrome International, about the updated World Down Syndrome Day website:
As most of you will know, 21 March is World Down Syndrome Day and Down Syndrome International is delighted to announce the re-launch of the official WDSD website:
The aim of this website is to create a single meeting place where everyone can share their experiences and advertise activities and events being organised around the world to raise awareness and celebrate the unique talents and abilities of people with Down syndrome worldwide on this day.
The new website not only enables you to register and receive updates about WDSD, it also enables you to UPLOAD DETAILS OF YOUR WDSD ACTIVITIES TO THE WDSD WEBSITE YOURSELVES. I explain below how to do this. Please note your registration and your uploads will all be subject to approval by this office and will go live after we have viewed them.
So here is how you can participate IN 2012:
- Please first register here http://worlddownsyndromeday.org/user/register. In the “Registration Details” section of this form you can decide if you want to simply receive updates from the website or if you want to “Join In”. Please select “Join In” if you want to upload WDSD activities to the site.
- You will receive an email saying your application for registration is pending. When we approve your account, you will receive another email with a link to set your own password. When you click on this link follow the instructions and you will have a WDSD account!
- When you have an account you can Login to the site at any time. If you selected the “Join In” option for registration, you can then follow the instructions below to add content to the site. PLEASE NOTE YOU CAN CHANGE THE SETTINGS OF YOUR ACCOUNT AT ANY TIME BY CLICKING ON THE “EDIT” BUTTON AFTER YOU LOGIN.
- There are 3 types of content:
1. WORLD EVENTS – These are events and activities happening on or around WDSD (21 March) which you can advertise with us BEFORE WDSD, just like the old website. Please go to http://www.worlddownsyndromeday.org/world, click on your “Continent”, then find your “Country” and click on it, then you will see “ADD A NEW EVENT” on the right hand side of the page. Click on this and follow the instructions on the form. You can add text, upload an image, upload a PDF attachment and include other information. PLEASE NOTE YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN TO THE WEBSITE TO ADD A NEW EVENT.
2. PLAN YOUR DAY – This is a new feature. We appeal to those of you in the WDSD community who are experienced in organising WDSD events to share your best practices with others. So in this section you can upload GUIDANCE information on types of events to help others to start new events and activities. You can set up a check list for example for a particular type of event. To participate please go to http://www.worlddownsyndromeday.org/plan-your-day, click on “ADD A NEW PLAN YOUR DAY” on the right hand side of the page, and follow the instructions on the form. You can add text, upload an image, upload a PDF attachment and include other information. PLEASE NOTE YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN TO THE WEBSITE TO ADD A NEW PLAN YOUR DAY.
3. YOUR STORIES – This is another new feature. We would like WDSD to be read about and discussed AFTER WDSD each year. So when 21 March is over, please help us to do this by posting YOUR STORIES and articles on the activities which took place and provide details of what happened, who was there, how it went, what people said about it etc. To participate please go to http://www.worlddownsyndromeday.org/your-stories, click on “ADD A NEW STORY” on the right hand side of the page, and follow the instructions on the form. You can add text, upload an image, upload a PDF attachment and include other information. PLEASE NOTE YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN TO THE WEBSITE TO ADD A NEW STORY.
PLEASE NOTE: WHEN YOU HAVE POSTED ONE OF THE ABOVE YOU WILL BE REDIRECTED TO ANOTHER PAGE WITH A MESSAGE. DO NOT WORRY, YOUR POST IS SIMPLY PENDING APPROVAL AND SHOULD GO LIVE WITHIN 24-48 HOURS.
This is a new system which we will all need to get used to. This may seem complicated but please follow my instructions and it will work fine. We have tested this thoroughly.
And I appeal to all of you to “JOIN IN” so that we can continue to grow WDSD as a global and inclusive celebration for people with Down syndrome, their families and their friends everywhere!
Down Syndrome International
Down Syndrome International