Address details


Down Syndrome NSW
Level 6/410 Church St, North Parramatta
9am-5pm Monday - Thursday
T: 9841 444


Tuesday 19 July 2011

Mock my pants, not my sister: Dr Brian Skotko

The entirely fabulous Dr Brian Skotko (Boston Children's Hospital paediatrician and co-author of  Fasten Your Seatbelt: A Crash Course on Down Syndrome for Brothers and Sisters)  has responded brilliantly to a silly article recently published in the US edition of GQ magazine that made a thoughtless reference to Down syndrome when denigrating Bostonians' style credentials, stirring up much comment unfavourable to GQ.

Go ahead, GQ, and mock my blue whale-emblemed Nantucket-red pants. Laugh if you want at the loud argyles that I prefer to wear with my black suit. I don’t even care if you dismiss the sexy pink polka-dotted tie that I like to wear with my blue-checkered shirt in clinic. But, whatever you do, do not mess with my sister.

My sister, Kristin, has Down syndrome, and let me explain what “Style Down Syndrome” really is ... read on here (Children's Hospital Boston blog) or here (Brian Skotko's personal blog)

The online version of the GQ article has been removed because of the unfavourable response of readers.

And how about those pants?

No comments: