Jennifer Bekins, speech and language pathologist at the Jane and Richard Thomas Center for Down Syndrome at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, has posted her annual list of gift suggestions on her blog, Let's Talk Down Syndrome. She says:
'Our team members are often asked what kinds of toys we suggest for children with Down syndrome. For the past several years I’ve compiled a list in November/December for this very reason. Our criteria when choosing toys:
- Engaging/ interesting
- Target specific goals we address in therapy
- Not too annoying (limited bells and whistles)
- Developmentally appropriate
- Encourage adult-child or child-child interaction
- Available locally or on common on-line sites'
What have been the top toys on your household?