Address details


Down Syndrome NSW
Level 6/410 Church St, North Parramatta
9am-5pm Monday - Thursday
T: 9841 444


Tuesday 28 June 2016

Resources: online and on the air

Down Syndrome Australia: Easy Read Facebook page - complements the Easy Read edition of the  Down Syndrome Australia website

Accessible Arts Newsletter, June 2016

Service, Support and Success, Volume 5, Issue 6, June 2016
... think about our members (term used for the people we serve). Depending on their history, they may have been in situations where saying “NO” was not allowed or not respected, but I’m sure they heard it, repeatedly, throughout their day. I spent my early years in the field experiencing many different types of support settings, where a member saying “No” was not allowed and certainly not respected. ‘No’ is a word that invokes negative feelings just by hearing it and, if it is the first word of a sentence, we will hear nothing else. We are in a new era where a member saying “NO” is a member saying “NO.” We need to value and respect all requests our members make and consider each request as we would want our requests to be considered before we make a decision ...

On the airwaves and on track
Wendy Andrews, Coffs Harbour Advocate, 16 June 2016
Community radio station 2CHY is giving young people with disabilities a voice. As the result of a grant received from the Law and Justice Foundation, 2CHY is working with students from Toormina High School's Support Unit on the My Voice, My Ability, My Rights program.

"What we're doing with the My Voice, My Ability, My Rights program is training students in broadcasting and interviewing skills," station manager Becky Cole said ...

No comments: