Address details


Down Syndrome NSW
Level 6/410 Church St, North Parramatta
9am-5pm Monday - Thursday
T: 9841 444


Friday 20 November 2015

Weekend reading and viewing 21st - 22nd November 2015


The good, the bad, and the downright unforgivable: part 2
Alex McAuley, The Life That Max Built, 13th November 2015
... I particularly remember one little girl, Hannah, who really clicked with Max, and without realising it, at just four years old she had become his advocate, mentor and role model as well as his dear friend. Whenever I went to pick Max up, he and Hannah would be involved in an activity together, usually involving dressing up in women’s clothes! ...

The good, the bad, and the downright unforgivable: part 3 and final
Alex McAuley, The Life That Max Built, 13th November 2015
So here I find myself recounting some dark days in my journey with Max and I still feel my stomach churning, my eyes filling with tears, and my head reeling with the injustice of it all ...
When My Boyfriend Didn’t Want to Come to My Brother’s Down Syndrome Walk
Allison Mitchell, The Mighty, 13th November 2015
... What I needed to realize and what Frank helped me see is that not everyone can jump in full force. Yes, he and Chess got along great but that didn’t mean he was ready to be 100-percent immersed in a community I’d been a part of my whole life. Sounds silly, right? ...

The Harper Family (video 21m 34s)
Attitude Live TV (NZ)
Take a step into the world of the Harper family. After having children of their own, the Harpers wanted to make a difference in the world when the couple adopted Lily, a girl with Down Syndrome. They went on to have another child of their own, also born with Down Syndrome. Then along came Isaac to add to their large family!
  • Attitude Live TV hosts a number of other videos about Lily - just enter 'Harper' into the search box
I fear the eradication of Down's syndrome
Hayley Goleniowska, Mumsnet, 16th November 2015
... there is no health gain in diagnosing Down's syndrome during pregnancy. It cannot be treated or prevented. It simply allows parents to decide whether to continue a pregnancy to term or not.

There are ethical implications to genetic testing, but no easy answers ...

21 Stress Free Tips for Teaching Your Child with Special Needs to Dress Themselves
Emma Sterland, Friendship Circle, 16th November 2015
We’ve all been there – rushing to get out the door while our children are still attempting to button their shirts. The easiest and most natural solution is to do it for them. But a little bit of patience can go a long way. Encouraging your child to dress themselves, and teaching them the techniques to do it, will not only save you time in the future, it will give them an all-important sense of achievement ...

And just in case you missed it earlier in the week, here again is Say it to my face, one of the best short 'awareness' campaign videos ever, from Don't DIS my ABILITY, the NSW annual campaign for International Day of People with Disability:



No comments: