Address details


Down Syndrome NSW
Level 6/410 Church St, North Parramatta
9am-5pm Monday - Thursday
T: 9841 444


Thursday 6 April 2017

News and commentary about the broader disability community

Carly Findlay, Ravishly, 3 April 2017
When my husband suggested we see the 2017 remake of Beauty and The Beast, I told him we couldn't watch it because I'd be looking at it through appearance diversity lens. My disability pride and politics ruin everything!

But we went, and I tried to keep an open mind. I watched it, and I enjoyed it. There was a beautiful, diverse cast, filled with strong black women as lead characters — and a gay storyline, too! I liked the costumes and the songs. I especially liked the animated personifications of candlesticks, clock, duster, cup, saucer and furniture. They were charming. I still couldn't get past the idea of The Beast, though ...
Dave Hingsburger, Of Battered Aspect, 30 March 2017
Warning, I'm going to quote a conversation that I got pulled into with two people with intellectual disabilities. A boyfriend and a girlfriend were discussing who they were, not to each other, but to the world. I'm going to use the words they used as risk of offending every reader. But to be true to the story and to respect the language they chose to use, I am going to risk that ...

David Lohr, Huffington Post, 14 March 2017
A disturbing number of caregivers kill the people they're meant to be helping ...

National approach crucial to make Australians with disability equal before the law
Nance Haxton, ABC News, 20 March 2017
As an ABC journalist for almost two decades, one issue I have reported on that has rattled me more than any other is the discrimination against people with a disability in Australia's justice system ...

No comments: