Address details


Down Syndrome NSW
Level 6/410 Church St, North Parramatta
9am-5pm Monday - Thursday
T: 9841 444


Friday 12 May 2017

Weekend reading and viewing: 13 - 14 May 2017


2017 - 2018 Federal Budget: information and opinionIt has been Federal Budget week in Australia - information and commentary relevant to people with Down syndrome and other disabilities and their carers has been compiled into a single page here.
It's been a big week of serious matters, with the Federal Budget and the subsequent analysis, and the tabling of the report into Qualifying for the Disability Support Pension in the House of Representatives, so take just 30 seconds to enjoy this very sweet ad by Johnson's Baby from Brazil.

I met you for the first time 5 years ago. I hated you the moment they introduced us. I was angry at your intrusion into my family. I didn’t want you to have any part in it. You weren’t expected and you certainly weren’t welcome ... I wanted to like you. To be like those that had known you much longer; so accepting and understanding ... You and I still have our moments ... For these things and more I do love you, Down syndrome ...
Sherry Clair, Frolic
21 March 2017

Madeline has Down syndrome and lives with her family in Wollongong, NSW, Australia. Here is a letter that she wrote to her birth mother for Mother’s Day.
The She Is Project, 15 May 2017

I’m one of those people who finds their life experience so interesting I wrote a book about it. But first I wrote for several years on my blog about my husband, about me and mostly about our son Thorin who lives with Down syndrome ... My most consistent dilemma is—is it really okay to write about Thorin? You can Google Thorin and find countless links to on-line content including photos. That thought fills me with concern and sometimes outright fear. So what over-rode my concerns to write about my son? And what restrictions do I impose? I have some thoughts ...
Kari Wagner-Peck,  Bloom, 11 May 2017

I made a decision this week that I thought was surprisingly easy. I enrolled my just-turned-two-year-old son with Down syndrome in preschool. After having a developmental surge in October, Anderson has recently hit a plateau. He is able to walk, but is a little timid and a lot stubborn about it. We’ve been onboard the surge-plateau rollercoaster since his arrival, it’s normal. But now that he has less than one year before starting public school, everything seems more urgent ...
From News Anchor to Homemaker
31 January 2017

Project explores relationships between client and support worker
Community Care Review, 9 March 2017
The dynamics of the relationship between young people with disability and their support worker have been captured in a new book produced as part of a national research project.

The book forms one part of a research project exploring what helps young people with cognitive disability and their paid support workers in their work together. The book, Relationships and Recognition: Photos about Working Together, is a collection of photos taken by 40 pairs of young people and support workers from six different parts of Australia who have shared their stories of their support relationship.

Lead investigator Dr Sally Robinson from the Centre for Children and Young People at Southern Cross University said the pairs took photos over several weeks of how they spend their time together and the activities they like to participate in ...

No comments: