Address details


Down Syndrome NSW
Level 6/410 Church St, North Parramatta
9am-5pm Monday - Thursday
T: 9841 444


Friday 26 May 2017

Weekend reading and viewing: 27 - 28 May 2017


Austin Underwood, 39, went to college right out of high school, and studied to be a prep chef. He’s lived on his own ever since graduation, but since jobs in the restaurant business were hard to find, he worked at a local grocery store for 13 years before asking a local restaurateur for a job. And in the last two years, it’s incredibly exciting to hear how his dreams have begun to unfold!
Austin Underwood
In My Own Words, 16 May 2017


Most of us take for granted the ability to have fluid, seamless verbal interactions on a daily basis. This is likely due to the fact that many of us learn the skill of speech with little to no effort. It “miraculously” just occurs. Consider, though, that for your minimally verbal child, these “simple” interactions can be extremely frustrating and require an enormous amount of work ...
Damon Murtha, Friendship Circle
16 May 2017


... Benjamin is my son whom I love with all my heart. Nothing will ever change that, and understanding what is truly going on with him will make it easier to give him the help he needs. So, with a deep breath and a new resolve I told my husband, “I think we should have Benjamin tested for autism” ...
Dana Hemminger, Reflections from Holland
29 April 2017

... But sometimes, when things happen fast, I do notice. I notice not the disability in particular but the life the person with the disability is living. I notice the engagement that people have in their world or with others in their community. I notice that they are caught up in life, in the best way possible. I think this is noticeable to me because I grew up in a world without disabled people in it ...
Dave Hingsburger, Of Battered Aspect
28 April 2017 

Anh Do's guest this week is inspirational five-time Paralympian Kurt Fearnley. Anh tries to capture the charming larrikin's 'never say die' attitude.
Series 2 Ep 7, ABC TV on iView until 14 July 2017

Based on the New York Times bestseller, WONDER tells the inspiring and heartwarming story of August Pullman. Born with facial differences that, up until now, have prevented him from going to a mainstream school, Auggie becomes the most unlikely of heroes when he enters the local fifth grade. As his family, his new classmates, and the larger community all struggle to find their compassion and acceptance, Auggie’s extraordinary journey will unite them all and prove you can’t blend in when you were born to stand out.

No comments: